1. Stay Connected with your child
If your child is feeling alone and powerless he’s the perfect victim for bullies. So it’s very important for your child to maintain connections with faitful friends and supportive adults. They need someone they can tell what’s going on in their life without any doubts of others reactions. They need to know you’re there to help them in every aspect of their life without being ashamed or anything else.
2. You should Create Awerness
If you child feel that you will never do anything he won’t even bother telling you his problems. Teach your child that he should create awareness when encountering any problems. Make sure that they don’t feel like cowards once they decide to tell you about bullying. Teach them it’s bold and powerful move.
3. Explain to your child what Tattling really means
Many times children refuse to say something so they don’t feel like tattles. Explain to your child that that’s exactly what bully wants them to feel like. It’s one of the ways Bullies feel safe to continue bullying. Once the bully realize he won’t be safe while bullying your child he loses power and will to continue.
4. Act quickly once you find out your child is a victim of bullying
The faster you act the faster bully will stop with bullying. The longer bully have the power over his victim the stronger the holds are. The bullies are the strongest once they know no one will take care of their victim. It’s an obvious sign for them to proceed at doing what they’re doing without a fear of any consequences.
5. Teach your kid on how to act when confronted with bully
Teach your kids to use direct, unemotional language when confronted with bullies. Teach them to let bullies know they have no intentions to be a victims of bullying. Tell them to follow few simple steps when talking to bully:
- maintain eye contact with bully without turning their back to them as it’s the sign of fear and discomfort and that’s what bullies are looking for
- keep voice calm
- take an appropriate distance from the bully and insist on it
- use the bullies name what talking to him as using someones name is the strongest way to get someone to listen what you have to say
Sometimes bullies takes control and your child miss confidence to confront them. That’s one of the main reasons to make your kid train Jiu Jitsu or any other real martial art. Better safe than sorry.