The fundamentals of BJJ are a funny thing. You can’t do without them, yet it takes getting to brown or even black beat in order to really start valuing them. In fact, there are two-point in our Jiu-Jitsu journeys where the fundamentals are something we turn to. The first is as fresh white belts. The second is as seasoned brown belts and beyond. If you’re one of the smart ones to leave a place for fundamentals throughout your journey, hats off to you. In any case, BJJ Fundamentals DVD instructionals can help. Especially when you know what all of them are and which are the absolute best.
There’s nothing without fundamentals, but then again, everyone likes to learn Berimbolos and Imanari leg locks first. Somehow, though, people realize that learning how to posture, grip, and similar fundamental stuff really does come before all the flashy spinning or flying techniques. So, instead of wasting all your time trying to copy the Mendes brothers’ highlights, pick yourself a BJJ fundamentals DVD or two and start learning the things that will actually one day provide you with a highlight reel of your own.
The Best BJJ Fundamentals DVD Instructionals Collection
In the modern BJJ world, people turn to digital instructional for everything, from learning how to hip escape and do solo drills, to figuring out specialized submissions and moves. Rarely, though, does anyone (apart from absolute beginners) look into BJJ fundamentals DVD instructionals. That has to change, given the amazing amount of information out there. If you focus more on learning the fundamentals, regardless of what belt level you are, you’ll be able to do much more unique things down the road.
The thing with fundamentals is, classes only allow professors so much time to try and explain things to students. Given that all students learn at a different pace this means that spending the right amount of time with everyone on a certain subject is impossible. Moreover, moving up the ranks usually means people feel they’re above the fundamentals and should focus on the advanced stuff. Well, understanding the fundamentals of BJJ is the most advanced thing you can do.
To that extent, we decided to make life easier for you. Looking for a BJJ fundamentals DVD? Below you’ll find a list of every digital instructional eve released on the subject. Not just that, but you’ll also see which the top 10 are, which can be very helpful for those that have no idea where to start. Despite any BJJ fundamentals DVD being a good choice for any grappler, start with the top 10, and make your way down the list as you need to further understand specific aspects of the sport.
The Top 10
1. The Guard Retention Anthology: Around and Under by Lachlan Giles & Ariel Tabak
There’s no point in trying to learn anything in BJJ if people can just brush past your guard. After all, the guard is the hallmark Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu position but it will only work if you can stay in it. Clachan Giles, the man with the plan to beat everyone, is uncovering all his gaur retention secrets in this incredible 8-part DVD instructional that will teach you all about the fundamentals of the BJJ guard and how to never lose it.
2. Foundations of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by Bernardo Faria
Bernardo Faria is the man with dozens of instructional and also one of the best Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu professors on the planet. Among all his high-level advanced instructionals he has one that often flies under the radar when it should be the first one people buy. His “Foundations of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu” instructional is exactly what you should expect to get from a BJJ fundamentals DVD.
In four information-packed volumes, Faria covers everything there is about the top and bottom positions in Jiu-Jitsu, what your goals are in each of them and how to mount offense and defense. The absolute must-have DVD for any grappler.
3. Scientific Gripping Systems For Jiu Jitsu by Travis Stevens
Anything you attempt to do in Jiu-Jitsu will only happen if you get a hold of the opponent. Doing so means you need to know how and where to grip people. Travis Stevens, a Judo Olympic medalist, and Danaher black belts seem like the obvious choice to go to for learning grips. He is. There’s no one better to explains the ins and outs of Gi gripping and it takes Travis four full-length volumes to do so. Learning everything this DVD has to offer will make you one of the best grapplers in your academy, without a shadow of a doubt!Click Here
4. Fundamentals Of a Jiu Jitsu Renegade by Kurt Osiander
Kurt is definitely one of the most unique (and strangest) personalities you’ll see in Jiu-Jitsu. he is, however, one of the best black belts around and is an impeccable teacher. His no-nonsense approach means he only teaches what is proven to work. In this BJJ fundamentals DVD, Kurt shares the secrets that make his brutal submission-based game work so well. Even if you do not aspire to be like him (which I don’t see why you wouldn’t), his take on the fundamentals of BJJ is something you have to see and hear.
5. Old School Efficient BJJ by Chris Haueter
A member of the BJJ dirty dozen, Chris is a joy to listen to. Haueter has a very old-school take on things, and in this highly modern BJJ environment we find ourselves in, it is a real breath of fresh air. it also works, and then some. Surprise everyone with highly fundamentals stuff that has been forgotten so much that people will think you’re doing something brand new!
6. Wrestling Fundamentals From The Bad Guy by Chael Sonnen
If you want to be good at BJJ you can’t just be a guard puler. That is the easy way out. Instead, you need to be able to take people down and defend takedowns. Wrestling will go a long way to help you achieve that, and with the right instructional, you can master it quite quickly. Chael Sonnen has exactly what you need in his four-part BJJ Fundamentals DVD that will take care of everything you need to know about wrestling for BJJ.
7. Going Upside Down: Beginner’s Guide to Inverting for BJJ
Yeah, you read that right. I don’t just consider inverting as a fundamental skill of BJJ, I’m also including an instructional about it in the top ten list! Learning how to invert correctly from the get-go will not only spare you lots of injuries but it will make all the fancy spinning stuff seem fundamental to you, once you understand how it works. If you’re looking to incorporate twister rolls, Imanaris, and Bolos into your game, this DVD will make you comfortable with being upside down. And then some!
8. BJJ Accelerator Blueprint by Stephen Whittier
Stephen Whittier is one of the SBG bunch which, in simple terms, means he loves deconstructing the “why” behind BJJ to the tiniest detail. In this one of a kind four-part instructional, Whittier teaches you everything there is not just about positions, but also the fundamentals about how to approach training and how to progress quickly. A different kind of BJJ fundamentals DVD, but one that’s absolutely crucial for anyone involved in Jiu-Jitsu.
9. No Gi Fundamentals: Top Game by JT Torres
Trainign without the Gi is something everyone in Jiu-Jitsu should know, and it just so happens to be a fundamental skill as well. Even if you never compete No-Gi, you need to understand how things work. To make everything painfully simple,. JT Torres, a multiple-time World Champion shares his take on the top game for BJJ in No-Gi, organized in a very precise and easy to follow manner.
10. No Gi Fundamentals Bottom Game by JT Torres
Part two of the instructional above, this BJJ fundamentals DVD is what JT Torres uses to explain the ins and outs of the bottom game for No-Gi. From guard retention, to guard variations that work best, grips, and attacks, everything you will lever need to be comfortable on your back in No-Gi is in this digital instructional.
List Of Every BJJ Fundamentals DVD Instructional Out There
Apart from the top 10 of BJJ fundamentals instructional which offer something for everyone, and are a great place to start, there are also plenty of other amazing options out there. Below, you’ll find each and every BJJ fundamentals DVD that you can get in order to understand The Gentle Art better.
1. Feet To Floor: Volume One Fundamental Standing Skills by John Danaher
John Danaher, teaching you his take on takedowns, with the Gi. Is there really something more that I need to say about his release? Oh, yeah, it has 8 parts to it with more than 10 hours of material.
2. Pin Escapes & Turtle Escapes: BJJ Fundamentals – Go Further Faster by John Danaher
Escaping tight spots in BJJ is just as fundamental as begin able to get to positions and maintain them. Perhaps even more. Danaher shares his amazing system of escapes as well as a very interesting perspective on the turtle position.
3. Strangles & Turtle Breakdowns: BJJ Fundamentals – Go Further Faster by John Danaher
It doesn’t get much more fundamental than strangling people with the Gi. Once again a John DanaherBJJ fundamentals DVD, covering everything about Gi chokes, and attacking turtled-up opponents.
4. Leglocks: Enter The System by John Danaher
This is an iconic DVD, really. The first-ever Danaehr instructional outlining the full leg locking system that launched the careers of the DDS. Today, an absolute must when ti comes to fundamentals Jiu-Jitsu techniques.
5. Open Guard: BJJ Fundamentals – Go Further Faster by John Danaher
The open guard is where lots of the fun in BJJ happens. However, you can only get away with every variation of it if you understand how it works. That is where this Danaher DVD comes in.
6. Half Guard: BJJ Fundamentals – Go Further Faster by John Danaher
Everyone’s favorite guard. Male or female, white or black belt, big or small, everyone has a half guard they love to play. All variations share the same fundamentals though, and it takes John Danaher 8 volumes to break them all down.
7. Guard Retention: BJJ Fundamentals – Go Further Faster by John Danaher
Another one on retaining your guard, once again by the BJJ mastermind himself, Danaher. As far as BJ fundamental DVDs go, you can’t go wrong with any of his work.
8.Half Guard Passing and Dynamic Pins: BJJ Fundamentals – Go Further Faster by John Danaher
The half guard has two faces, and passing it is just as fundamental a skill to have as playing it is. Danaher again, and one of the best BJJ fundamentals DVD instructional in existence.
9. Go Further Faster Bundle by John Danher
For everyone that likes to simplify things, you can just go for the entire “Go Further Faster” collection by Danaher. Inside, you’ll find all his DVD sets on BJJ fundamentals.
10. Enter The System Bundle by John Danaher
Similar to the bundle above, but those times containing all of Danaehr’s No-Gi DVD sets.
11. Closed Guard: BJJ Fundamentals – Go Further Faster by John Danaher
A closed guard BJJ fundamentals DVD, presented by John Danaher, in the Gi. An absolute must-have.
12. Systematically Attacking The Back by Gordon Ryan
Danaher’s students also have awesome instructional of their own. If you want to learn everything bout the back and attacking from there, Gordon Ryan’s DVD is what you should be looking for.
13. Fundamentals of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Escapes Gi & No Gi by Lachlan Giles
Another Lachlan Giles gem, this time all about escaping from bad spots. A highly underestimated skill that absolutely everyone needs.
14. Systematic Submission Dilemmas: High Level Triangle and Leg Lock Combos by Craig Jones
Lachlan’s top student and Australian grappling superstar Craig Jones have a real treat for submission hunters. This BJJ fundamentals DVD explains the basic concept of dilemma attacks, and how to blend submissions together when attacking.
15. The Single Strap Back Take Encyclopedia by Bernardo Faria
A Bernardo Faria DVD that focuses on the back takes, by using a slightly unusual method that in the single strap that is of paramount importance for Gi players.
16. Introduction To BJJ by Bernardo Faria
This is an instructional every new BJJ student should have. “Introduction to BJJ” is just what it sounds, and Faria leaves no stone unturned to help you understand what you’re becoming a part of.
17. BJJ Basics by Travis Stevens
Four more volumes of extremely high-quality basics by Travis Stevens, this time extending to all subjects rather than a specific one like gripping. One more all-encompassing BJJ fundamentals DVD.
18. Fundamentals & Concepts by Travis Stevens
Learning from concepts is always the best way to understand Jiu-Jitsu, and especially the fundamentals. Travis Stevens delivers precisely that in this four-volume set.
19. Timeless Sweeps And Submissions: The Side Butterfly Guard by Rafael Lovato
Rafeal Lovato Jr. is a household name in BJJ and one of the best professors in the sport. His unusual take on the butterfly guard might not be seen as fundamental by many, which is exactly why you need to learn it fast.
20. Defending and Countering Pressure Passes by Andre Galvao
The man that heads one of the top competition academies in the world certainly knows what fundamentals are all about. In this Andre Galvao DVD, you’ll learn all about dealing with pressure passes by using slick counters.
21. High Level Fundamentals by Gregor Gracie
Four DVDs of Gracie Jiu-JItsu fundamentals taught by Gregor Gracie. A lot to learn from this one, at every belt level.
22. De La Riva Fundamentals by Danny Stolfi
The De la Riva is an open guard variation that has become so common in Jiu-Jitsu that it is now considered as part of the fundamentals. Danny Stolfi has the perfect BJJ fundamentals DVD to make it as simple as possible.
23. White Belt Defense by Joel Bouhey
Before you can attack you need to be able to defend. For white belts that have no idea what’s going on, defending should be at the top of the list. That’s where this amazing Joel Bouhey DVD enters the frame.
24. White Belt Defense Vol 2. by Joel Bouhey
Picking up where the previous DVD left off, Joel shares his takes on really making the bottom side control position your fortress.
25. Dynamic Fundamentals by Raphael Carneiro
Learn about the fundamentals of Jiu-Jitsu from a different perspective – a dynamic one. Never stop moving and yet, have every movement be a deliberate one.Click Here
27. Invincible Basics by Renato Migliaccio
Renato Migliaccio lifts the lid on invisible Jiu-Jitsu and will teach you all about that essential concept in this BJJ fundamentals DVD set.
28. WHITE BELT BIBLE BY ROY DEAN [ON DEMAND]
Esteemed black belt Roy Dean has a whole collection out on the requirements for every belt level, starting of course, with the white belt.
29. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt Requirements by Roy Dean-bjjfanatics
Roy Dean’s blue belt requirements DVD.
30. Blue Belt Requirements 2.0 by Roy Dean-bjjfanatics
The 2.0 version of Roy Dean’s blue belt requirements DVD.
31. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Purple Belt Requirements by Roy Dean – bjjfanatics
Roy Dean’s purple belt requirements DVD.
32. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Brown Belt Requirements by Roy Dean-bjjfanatics
Roy Dean’s brown belt requirements DVD.
33. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt Requirements by Roy Dean-bjjfanatics
Roy Dean’s black belt requirements DVD.
34. NO GI ESSENTIALS BY ROY DEAN [ON DEMAND]
A No-Gi BJJ fundamentals DVD by Roy Dean, with everything you need to know about training without the Gi.
35. BLUE BELT REQUIREMENTS BY ROY DEAN [ON DEMAND]-DIGITSURoy Dean’s blue belt requirements DVD.
36. BLUE BELT REQUIREMENTS 2.0 BY ROY DEAN [ON DEMAND]-DIGITSU
Roy Dean’s blue belt requirements DVD 2.0.
37. PURPLE BELT REQUIREMENTS BY ROY DEAN [ON DEMAND]-DIGITSU
Roy Dean’s purple belt requirements DVD.
38. BROWN BELT REQUIREMENTS BY ROY DEAN [ON DEMAND]-DIGITSU
Roy Dean’s brown belt requirements DVD.
39. BLACK BELT REQUIREMENTS BY ROY DEAN [ON DEMAND]-DIGITSU
Roy Dean’s black belt requirements DVD.
40. 10th Planet Fundamentals by JM Holland & Zach Maslany
Drills are among the most fundamental things you can learn in BJJ and the 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu system certainly has a way of organizing them in a fun and challenging manner.
41. Guillotine Fundamentals by Pedro Marinho
Another specialized BJJ fundamentals DVD, this time about the guillotine choke. Similar to the De la Riva or the back mount, the guillotine is absolutely essential for anyone in grappling.
42. Gracie Jiu Jitsu Fundamentals DVD with Vacirca BrothersThe fundamentals of the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu curriculum in great detail.
43. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu White to Blue Belt Program DVD by The Vacirca Brothers
The Vacirca Brothers explain their curriculum and requirements for earning a blue belt in their system.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt Program DVD by the Vacirca BrothersThe Vacirca Brothers explain what a blue belt in their system needs to master in order to progress further.
44. Tinguinha’s Open Guard for Beginners DVD – BJJ, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA
Tinguinha has some of the best guard instructionals around and is one of the few that approaches the most fundamental aspects of open guards in a way that beginners can easily understand.
45. BJJ Sweeps by Flavio Almeida
Gracie Barra’s Flavio Almeida explains the fundamentals behind sweeps in Jiu-Jitsu, with information that is crucial to all belt levels.
46. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Techniques and Tactics: Sweeps and Reversals DVD – BJJ Martial Arts
Another sweep-oriented BJJ fundamentals DVD instructional, this time incorporating competition tactics along with concepts and techniques.
47. BJJ Authority: The Complete Blue Belt Curriculum (6 DVD Set)
A huge 6-volume set covering literally everything you need to learn as a white belt in order to earn the first belt of Jiu-Jitsu.
48. BJJ CURRICULUM WHITE TO BLUE LEVEL 1 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
49. BJJ CURRICULUM WHITE TO BLUE LEVEL 2 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (part 2).
50. BJJ CURRICULUM WHITE TO BLUE LEVEL 3 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (part 3).
51. BJJ CURRICULUM WHITE TO BLUE LEVEL 4 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (part 4).
52. BJJ CURRICULUM BLUE TO PURPLE LClick HereEVEL 1 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (part 1).
53. BJJ CURRICULUM BLUE TO PURPLE LEVEL 2 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (part 2).
54. BJJ CURRICULUM BLUE TO PURPLE LEVEL 3 Click Here[ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (part 3).
55, BJJ CURRICULUM BLUE TO PURPLE LEVEL 4 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (part 4).
56. BJJ CURRICULUM PURPLE TO BROWN LEVEL 1 & 2 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (parts 1 and 2).
57. BJJ CURRICULUM PURPLE TO BROWN LEVEL 3 & 4 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (parts 3 and 4).
58. BJJ CURRICULUM BROWN TO BLACK LEVEL 1 & 2 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (parts 1 and 2).
59. BJJ CURRICULUM BROWN TO BLACK LEVEL 3 & 4 [ON DEMAND]
A complete curriculum of everything you need to get your blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (parts 3 and 4).
60. GRAY TO YELLOW KIDS BJJ CURRICULUM [ON DEMAND]
BJJ fundamental DVD instructionals extended well past just the needs of adults. Here’s a curriculum of basics for kids to get from grey to yellow belt.
61. YELLOW TO ORANGE KIDS BJJ CURRICULUM [ON DEMAND]
Here’s a DVD Instructional with the basics for kids to get from yellow to orange belt.
62. ORANGE TO GREEN KIDS BJJ CURRICULUM [ON DEMAND]
Here’s a DVD Instructional with the basics for kids to get from orange to green belt.
63. The Road To Blue Belt by Travis Lutter
Another take on fundamental requirements for blue belts, this time by Travis Lutter.
64. Immobilization Bible: More Than 220 Techniques 2-DVD Set
A very cool BJJ fundamentals DVD set with, probably, the biggest number of techniques that can fit inside an instructional.
65. LUCAS LEPRI SIT-UP GUARD PART ONE [ON DEMAND]
World champion Lucas Lepri shares his fundamentals of playing the sit up guard, one of the best open guards in the sport.
66. LUCAS LEPRI SIT-UP GUARD PART TWO [ON DEMAND]
The second part of Lucas Lepri’s sit up guard secrets.
67. Fundamental Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Techniques by Renato Migliaccio
Fundamentals of Jiu-Jitsu explained in four long volumes by black belt Renato Migliaccio.
68. Mastering Scramble Positions and Fundamental Offensive Attacks by Brett Pfarr
- A very important skill in grappling si the ability to turn scrambles to your advantage. Brett Pfarr has the ultimate formula in this BJJ fundamentals DVD.
69. THE CRUCIFIX BUILDING BLOCKS BY DAVE JACOBS [ON DEMAND]
Fittingly wrapping up our top list of BJJ fundamentals DVD instructionals is a specialized one on the Crucifix position, something every grappler has to know.
There’s really no best resource for learning BJJ fundamentals. however, you can definitely learn a lot from any of the BJJ fundamentals DVD instructionals on our list. Do not be stubborn and reach for the fancy stuff first. Take your time to master the fundamentals so that you don’t have to go back to them later on in your grappling journey.