- Travis Stevens – (18 months) Black Belt under John Danaher. Travis stevens was U.S.A Judo Olympian and that’s the main reason he got his belts so fast. He was white for few weeks, then blue for one month and purple for few months.
2. Caio Terra – (3 years) Black Belt by Reyson Gracie and Paulo Strauch. He dominated everyone in Brazililan local scene and soon he became one of the best fighters ever in his weight category
3. BJ Penn – (3 years) – Black Belt under Andre Pederneiras, Nova Uniao! He first started training at Ralph Gracie’s academy and got purple belt. After that he decided he wants to train in Brazil and Ralph was against that desicion but BJ Penn decided to move anyway. In 16 months he earned his Black Belt under Andre Pederneiras.
4. Mads Burnell – (3 years) – BJJ Black Belt under Chris Haueter. Danish MMA talent Mads Burnell got his belt from Chris Hauter after 3 years of very intense training at age of 21.
5. Geo Martinez – (3 years) – BJJ Black Belt under Eddie Bravo, 10th Planet. Obviously very talented former breakdancer necame Black belt in only 3 years. He placed 4th at ADCC and he won EBI tournament.
6. Gabriel Moraes – (3,5 years) – BJJ Black Belt that bypassed purple and brown belt as he won worlds in blue belt in 2003 and he won worlds in black belt in 2004.
7. Mike Fowler – (3.5 years) – BJJ Black Belt from Lloyd Irvin. very successful competitor who followed Irvin’s “Grappling Blue Print” program.
8. Lloyd Irvin – (3.5 years) – BJJ Black Belt by Leo Dalla. He was learning very fast and after 1 month he got his blue belt. Not much after his coach Leo Dalla left to Brazil so Lloyd was left to learn on his own. He opened his academy and now he’s teaching all over USA and in Brazil. He got his Black from Leo Dalla after 3.5 years.
9. Fabiano Scherner – (3 years) – Fabiano is an UFC veteran and he runs Gracie Barra academy in Oregon.
10. Richie ‘Boogeyman’ Martinez – (4 years) – BJJ Black Belt under Eddie Bravo, 10th Planet. Boogyeman, as his brother is a former break dancer. Just like his Brother Geo he got Black Belt very fast. He’s also MMA fighter signed to TITAN FC
11. DJ Jackson – (4 years) – DJ Jackson He won world championships in all belts. IBJJF no gi world chanmpion in blue, purple, brown and black. Gi world champion in purple and brown.
12. Orlando Sanchez (4 years) – BJJ Black Belt under Ze radiola
13. Vitor ‘Shaolin’ Ribeiro (4 years) – BJJ Black Belt under Andre Pederneiras. He was a very talented kid. Started training with only 14 years of age and won everything in lower belts. He was promoted to black when he was 18.
14. Gunnar Nelson (4 years) – BJJ Black Belt under Renzo Gracie. Professional Jiu Jitsu and MMA fighter from Iceland. He was promoted by Renzo Gracie and was the youngest european ever to be promoted in black. With only of 21 years of age.
15. Nic Gregoriades (4 years) – Black Belt Under Roger Gracie
16. Kit Dale (4 years) – Black Belt Under Team Checkmat
Kit Dale likes to say that he’s the fastest Black Belt without any grappling experience before BJJ.
Check the list of BJJ Red Belts as there is much more of them then you think.